HUSKY is Connecticut’s health insurance program for the populations below:
Children and their parents and/or caretakers; pregnant women
Children 19 years of age or younger whose parent’s income exceeds the HUSKY A guidelines; may be some co-pays
Insurance for the elderly (65+), blind, and disabled. Patients who have Medicare can also apply for HUSKY C. This insurance includes long term care like nursing homes.
Low income adults
First Choice Health Centers offers assistance with applying for HUSKY insurance programs. We have patient care coordinators located at the following location to help you through the enrollment process:
- 94 Connecticut Blvd, East Hartford
- 265 Ellington Road, East Hartford
- 150 N. Main Street, Manchester
For more information contact Peaches at 860-610-6137
Applications for HUSKY A, B, and D can be processed through the Access Health CT marketplace. Applications for HUSKY C can be completed on www.connect.ct.gov or at any DSS office.
The HUSKY Health program offers a comprehensive health care benefit package.
Basic benefits for all HUSKY Health members include:
- Physical Rehabilitation
- Durable Medical Equipment
- Hearing Aids
- Orthotic and Prosthetic Devices
- Home Health Care
- Hospice Services
- Ambulatory Surgery
- Hospital Outpatient Care
- Laboratory Tests
- X-rays and other Radiology Services
- Vision Care
- Emergency Care
- Dental Services (through CT Dental Health Partnership)
- Behavioral Health Services (through CT Behavioral Health Partnership)
- Pharmacy (medications)
There are some benefits available only to HUSKY A, C and D members.
These benefits are:
- Non-emergency transportation to health care appointments
- Smoking cessation services: counseling and medications
- Early and Periodic Screening, Diagnosis & Treatment (also known as EPSDT): children under 21 can receive medically necessary services even if they are not covered benefits
There are some limitations to services for HUSKY B members.
HUSKY Plus offers additional services for some HUSKY B children with special physical health care needs, while mental health and substance abuse treatment services are available through the Connecticut Behavioral Health Partnership. HUSKY B members are also responsible for cost-sharing (premiums, co-payments and co-insurance) for certain services. Please visit our member page for more information.
For more information: http://www.ct.gov/hh/site/default.asp